navigating the addresses – part 2

For all those who have been waiting for the second post in this series, we’d like to take a moment to introduce you to your new friends.

control-f

Without them as a guide, you’ll be as hard pressed as we are in finding your way around this years list of addresses.

For quite some time now, pretty much every self respecting browser has had the ability to respond to these two important keys.

When both are pressed at the same time, it’s normal for a box to appear at the bottom of the browser that allows you to type in a bit of  text.  A word, phrase or name that you wish to find on the page.

This trick is so old that quite a few people forget how powerful it is. And for those accustomed to pen and paper, it’s one of those miracles of technology.

As we mentioned in the previous post, deciding what to search for is the largest and most important part of the job. Something you’ll have to figure out your self. That being said, we’d like to offer this little list below that has proven to be a major help and inspiration.

We’ve compiled a list of all the countries represented so far in this years incowrimo event. Going to the address book page and pressing Ctrl – F should open the search function. Typing in any of the countries below will lead you to all the addresses associated with them.

A little bit of playing around will always get you somewhere you didn’t expect. And that can be a good thing.

ALGERIA
TURKEY
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
UNITED KINGDOM
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

1. Susan says:

quilts501.sa@gmail.com

Part 1- I’ve never done one of these before – can you please clarify are we picking one person to write in February or can we write to however many we want in February. Part 2, of my question is if we choose one person do we write to them everyday in February and then if we choose more people do we write to all the people we chose and write them everyday in the month of February

Sorry for not understanding but I just need to be clarified what I should be doing.

Thank you for your time and also for preparing such a gigantic list of pen pals. Very time consuming and we appreciate it you stepping up and doing it.

2. The idea is a handwritten letter every day for the month of February. We’re the site that doesn’t care who you write. The pleasure of deciding is yours. How cool is that?

It can be your next door neighbour, one person on each continent, three people on each of the seven seas.

You can write as many letters as you like in a day, just one of them needs to make it to the letterbox every day.

hope this helps

3. Kate says:

Hot dog! I love it!

4. radellaf says:

Unless I am looking for countries, or searching to seen if a neglected reply needs an address update, what I usually do is try to pick random addresses. If these were in CSV format, or even just numbered, that’d be easy. As it is, it’s just 6764 lines. I guess you can generate a big random number and it’ll hit an address (re-roll if it hits a gap), and 5th line of a long address doesn’t count.
    Call it geeky, but if I can’t find a reason not to, random seems the best way. Or go with people who listed some details in comments, but I want to give the ones who didn’t know to do that some chance.

5. Next to actually writing letters, choosing who to write to is almost of equal importance. That’s why we leave it entirely up to the participants.

When it comes to random we like to believe that letting each participant figure out a way to choose is the best way to random. Rather than relying on an entirely deterministic casual process (which would probably suffice) we introduce an active element of creativity into the process that wouldn’t be there otherwise ..it is after all about the statistical qualities of a stream of numbers.

There are so many creative ways to randomly pick. We like to believe the world’s a better place when each person gets to figure out the important things in life and share it with someone in a handwritten letter.

6. Pedro says:

Sorry, but, Latvia is’nt in the list

7. Nataly Hlapkovska from Latvia might disagree :)

8. Pedro says:

It is possible, but in the list above Latvia is not ;)

9. oooops, point taken, thanks :)

10. we stand corrected, the list has been updated.

11. Emanuela says:

Is this wonderful idea just for the month of February? What’s happening in the other months? I would like my address to remain in the next few months. It’s possible? Sorry for my imperfect English. Thank you

12. there are plenty of people who continue to write throughout the year and will have their name kept on the list, including yourself :) cheers

13. I have been making good use of Ctrl +f in my search for victims.

14. hertryk says:

I will need to change my address. I have JUST sold my house… so shall I do it now or wait until closer to Feb 2019? I am having mail forwarded for 6 months so good for this year